Kuhlo Flugel Horn by E. David c.1885
Pastor Edward Kuhlo established brass choirs in Protestant churches in Northern Germany in the 1880s. These choirs were called Posaunen choirs ie: trombone choirs, but the horns ranged from a soprano instrument to lower horns such as a trombones or tubas. The music was written in 4 part choir style and in C for all instruments. Players were therefore required to learn to play from C scored music.
This horn is a rotary valve Flugel in Bb using a trumpet mouthpiece. It has the words ?Spielet dem Herrn? inscribed on bell. This means - Play To The Lord. This horn was made by Ernst David, Bielefeld, North Germany - a well known maker of Kuhlo horns.